Companies understand that their customers and partners expect a superior personal experience. After all, customer experience has been a top priority for organizations over the past decade. However, despite all the technological advancements and transformation initiatives, the ability to deliver innovation quickly is still a long way off.
Without this ability, companies constantly play a role in catching up with rapidly changing business dynamics and customer expectations.
Why is strategic agility so elusive?
Unfortunately, establishments are closed in the event that Gartner Research is defined as a “steady application experience”. It is a model of a rigid and bloated application architecture, creating a stalemate that organizations find difficult to navigate. This technological impedance is one of the primary reasons (along with organizational culture and structural challenges) at the root of organizational sluggishness.
To adapt to the challenges of the modern world, companies need to move from a static application experience to a more dynamic one. This can be achieved with an approach – wrapped around a goal – to a buildable project.
The configurable enterprise is the future of applications
Enterprise Creatable aims to create an application architecture where organizations can deliver different functionality through configuration (as opposed to development), by leveraging the capabilities of business bundles (PBCs). Gartner It is estimated that by 2023, 30% of new applications will be delivered, priced, and consumed as libraries with commercial bulk potential, up from less than 5% in 2020.
To be fair, this run-up to an author’s project isn’t a new discovery for the press. Companies have been trying to move from coding-driven development to a more service- and configuration-oriented architecture over the past two decades, albeit only in the pockets and not as quickly as they would like.
The createable enterprise has become the need of the hour. This is driven by the sense of urgency brought about by the multifaceted disruption across industries, along with technological advances that make it possible for organizations to achieve this at an enterprise scale.
One such development comes in the form of low-code digital transformation platforms.
How do low code platforms drive a buildable enterprise?
according to Forrester ResearchLow code development platforms are emerging as a key strategy to accelerate application delivery to support digital business transformation. They have the ability to develop software ten times faster than traditional methods. Low-code platforms use a visual configuration and modeling-based approach to accelerate application development.
A good low-code platform drives the creation of a buildable enterprise in two ways, both of which are important for long-term sustainability:
- By enabling the rapid development of modern PBCs that offer cutting edge functionality without the need to rebuild the organizational core, thus protecting decades of investments in legacy and core applications
- Providing the core ability to build applications through configuration and abstraction with a modeling-driven application environment, an organization can build customer-centric business applications that deliver a dynamic, multi-channel experience that drives the customer journey from start to finish
Is there a catch?
Low-code platforms come in various shapes and sizes, from those that support the creation of relatively simpler standalone applications to those that enable rapid development of mission-critical enterprise size applications with various functional components. Mostly, the latter category forms the core of the configurable enterprise.
To lead a buildable enterprise, a low-code platform must be equipped with a variety of capabilities. Must:
- Accelerate professional development through modular, model-based, abstraction-oriented development
- Support a variety of business and technology needs, such as workflow, content management, direct transactions, mobile apps, collaboration, customer self-service, customer engagement across multiple channels, and automated business rules
- Offering service-oriented integration that can extend beyond organizational boundaries
- Enable application portfolio rationalization by helping to avoid bringing multiple point solutions into the mix with its particular ability to rapidly develop a variety of applications
- Prevent Shadow IT with centralized governance, visibility, and barriers, without impeding innovation
- Enable rapid and continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) and adherence to quality standards and architectural requirements
- Enable, and even catalyze, change with traceability, thus ensuring long-term sustainability of business applications
The ability of organizations to deliver a configurable project in the future will depend on many factors. It is basically a transformative journey.
It’s important to take the right steps and build in stages, starting with building a low-code platform and building peripheral capabilities over time. Choosing the right set of applications and making early gains goes a long way in building momentum towards long-term goals.
Determining the right low-code platform that can drive your transformation journey into a createable enterprise is critical to achieving a createable enterprise.