Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations users often find the need for their external systems to receive notifications from D365 Finance and Operations applications, so that these systems can perform business actions in response to business events. Fortunately, Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations provides a way for these systems to receive in-app notifications via business events. In Part 1 of this two-part series on business events, we’ll talk about business event architecture, its components, benefits, and framework.
Business Events Engineering
In Dynamics 365, the Business Event Catalog can be accessed from System Administration > Setup > Business Events. The catalog is useful because it shows available business events while allowing you to filter events by category, business event ID, and name. Although most of the business events are implemented innovatively, if there is any custom business event required, the developer should use plugins to implement new business events. Here’s a look at the architecture for business events:
Action Event Components
- Business Events Catalog
- Lists the action events available in the instance
- Displays available business events that can be filtered by category, business event ID, and name
- The work event class specifies its source
- The business event catalog is created during database synchronization at the time of publication
- Users can see the full list of business events in the catalog
- Endpoint management
- Manage destinations to send business events to
- Supports Azure Service Bus Queue, Azure Service Bus Thread, Azure Event Grid, Azure Event Hub, HTTPS and Microsoft Power Automate
- Create multiple endpoints for multiple scenarios
- Azure-based endpoints must be on the customer’s Azure subscription
- Workflow across systems
- Facilitate the flow of events across systems
- Act as triggers for important events with alerts and notifications
- Provide checklists for users to keep track of when dependencies are met.
- Works with workflow and non-workflow procedures.
- No code/low code framework
- Business events are supported for multiple Power Automate endpoints, Azure services, and custom HTTPS triggers
- The number of endpoints that can participate in the same business event
- Near real time integration
- Stay away from batch operations
- discrete integrals
Work Events Framework
If you want your external systems to receive notifications from Finance and Operations apps, using business events is a great way to implement business actions in response to these events. Because business events occur when a business process is running, they can easily be used by external systems in integration and media scenarios.
In the second part of our two-part series on business events, we’ll talk about how to get approved for free text invoices with business events and how you can create a custom business event.
Synoptek is a business and technology consulting firm that helps organizations visualize, transform, and grow. As a global systems integrator and managed technology services provider, we partner with organizations around the world to help them navigate the ever-changing technology landscape and build solid foundations for their businesses.