Catalogic Software, a company that provides intelligent data protection solutions, has released Catalogic DPX 4.8, the latest version of Catalogic’s enterprise data protection software. DPX 4.8 adds improvements to proxyless backups of virtual environments, improved cloud archiving, advanced capabilities for compliance and ransomware protection.
“In the age of everyday cyber attacks, the importance of a reliable and secure data protection solution like DPX cannot be overstated,” said Sathya Sankaran, Director of Operations, Catalogic Software. “The latest version of DPX takes into account today’s threat landscape and regulatory requirements. Our vStor appliance adds support for leading cloud storage vendors Backblaze and Wasabi that provide low cost, fast archiving and retrieval and support for Amazon S3 Glacier and Glacier Deep Archive for long-term data retention at extremely low cost. .”
Agent-less or agent-based backups are still the most popular option for virtual environments, eliminating the need to install and maintain a backup agent on every virtual machine.
Reliability and performance improvements in factorless backup in DPX 4.8 include:
- Single File Recovery allows you to restore specific files or directories from VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V backups without a proxy
- Support for data protection attached to VMware’s SATA and NVMe controllers
- Option to run full backups of VDI VMs
DPX vStor was announced in 2018 as a software-defined backup device embedded in DPX. vStor provides do-it-yourself flexibility to customers and partners to build their own backup targets to meet performance and capacity requirements. vStor backup nodes can be deployed on bare metal servers or as virtual machines, with disk, tape or cloud storage options for long-term backup retention and ransomware protection. Improvements to vStor in DPX 4.8 include:
- Configure software hardware via DPX’s new HTML5 user interface
- Ability to copy encrypted volumes to secondary vStor devices, copy bandwidth management, ability to prioritize volume copies
- Amazon S3 Object Lock Sets compliance and governance modes for cloud object storage. Once data is archived in the cloud and locked, it cannot be modified or deleted, even by the administrator, protecting cloud backups from premature deletion and providing an extra layer of protection against ransomware and data loss.
DPX vStor supports a powerful set of features for archiving cloud object storage backups via the S3 object storage protocol. Cloud storage with S3 Object Lock provides a cost-effective and long-term storage solution for data that must remain under the user’s control for compliance or data management reasons.
For more information about Catalogic DPX 4.8 and earlier, go to
What’s new in DPX 4.8.0 and the DPX product page.